KetoNaturalPetFoods is a dry dog food that is recently launched in the market. It offers your pets carbohydrate content of a raw diet but the cost and convenience of kibble. Evidence suggests that carbs are unhealthy for dogs. Ketona is a premium dry kibble and is considered best ketogenic dog food that reduces the risk of cancer, osteoarthritis, diabetes, and allergies. It is a detailed Ketona dog food review.
Keto Natural Pet Foods was started by Daniel Schulof, author of Dogs, Dog Food, and Dogma that provides scientific links between carbohydrate consumption and chronic disease in pets. It’s been called the “most rigorous and probing canine health and nutrition book ever written”.
The website contains an informative library of everything and anything you need to know how to help your pet get back on his/her feet while also to maintain good pet health. All you need to do is register and join the KetoNatural Academy.
Ketonaturalpetfoods is an interactive website that provides you with the library, helps you discuss how ketogenic diet works and how you can maintain good dog health. Put forth your opinions, clarify your doubts and indulge in discussions to enlighten yourself about pet health.
What is KetoNaturalPetFoods?
Carbs are not healthy for dogs and can cause many health risks such as cancer, obesity, diabetes and many conditions. More than half of the dogs in the USA are overweight or obese. Cancer is another condition that kills one out of three dogs.
Dog owners spend more than $30 billion every year on medical services to save their pets.
The underlying problematic element is the carb. As per the manufacturer, even the best brands in the market that claim “grain-free” tend to have more than 30%, 50% or 70% carbs. Then why are they still available in the market? The answer is the low price, full of calories and the fact that many executives hide the truth to make a profit.
That said, unlike fats and proteins, carbohydrates are not necessary for dogs. In fact, in olden days pet owners avoided carbs completely. Moreover, studies show that carbohydrate consumption can lead to many health problems in dogs, humans, mice and other animals. Few of the symptoms include inflammation, obesity, diabetes, elevated insulin, and blood sugar levels, cancers not to mention cut down their age to a short period.
As per Ketona website, the evidence says that one-third of dogs die from cancer. This is at least 4x high as the cancer mortality rate experienced by wild canines raised in zoos.
How do Keto Natural Pet Foods work?
For starters, Ketona foods for dogs is a low carb dog food that contains carbs as low as 8% which is virtually lower than every other dry dog food product on the market today. For instance, Ketona Dry Food For Adult Dogs Chicken Recipe contains less than 8% carb, 46$ protein, and 16% fat. At 452 calories per cup, it roughly amounts to 13 grams of carbohydrates per cup and 74 grams of proteins.
Here are a few reasons why you should lower your dog’s carbohydrate intake:
- For starters, carbs are not necessary for your dogs. So even if dogs don’t have carbs, it won’t cause any harm to your dog.
- Unlike wild canines that survive on raw meat and meat alone (that has zero carbohydrates), domestic dogs have a different and dormant lifestyle.
- Carbs can metabolize your nutrients to energy and not in a good way. Instead of burning stored body fat to energy, consuming carbs can cause your dog to burn more carb-derived glucose to energy. It can lead to obesity or overweight issues.
- Carbs can cause your dog’s body to produce more anabolic hormone insulin than if consumed fats and proteins.
- There is much evidence that shows that Carbohydrates can cause your dog to become fatter as compared to other nutrients.
- Cancer cells burn carb-derived glucose for energy. Many world’s leading cancer researchers say that low-carb diets are useful adjunct therapy to treat or prevent cancers.
The reason why many pet owners didn’t know about carb in “grain-free” foods is that many US states law does not require pet food companies to disclose the carb content of their products. Unlike FDA’s rigid rule that requires the health brands to display their nutritional facts on the label for humans, it is sadly not mandatory for pets.
It is a huge drawback and worst to the advantage of pet food companies; and they use this as a cashing factor to infuse cheap, starchy ingredients such as potatoes instead of grains. As a result, the term, “grain-free” does not always mean safe for pets.
Products of Ketona (Keto Natural Pet Foods)
Currently, there is only one product available, but the quantity differs.
- Ketona Dry Food For Adult Dogs Chicken Recipe – 4.2 lbs
- Ketona Dry Food For Adult Dogs Chicken Recipe – 8.4 kg
- Ketona Dry Food For Adult Dogs Chicken Recipe – 16.8 kg
- Ketona Dry Food For Adult Dogs Chicken Recipe – 24.2 kg
Ketona Dog Food Ingredients
Chicken, Pea Protein, Ground Green Peas, Oat Hulls (Source of Fiber), Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flaxseed Meal, Phosphoric Acid, Gelatin, Chicken Liver Digest, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Pea Fiber, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamine E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Sunflower Oil, Vegetable Oil, Citric Acid (Preservative), Ascorbic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid Supplement, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Iodine Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Lecithin, Mixed Tocopherols (Preservative), Rosemary Extract.
Upon analysis, Ketona dog food contains:
- Crude Protein (Min.) – 46.0%
- Crude Fat (Min.) – 16.0%
- Crude Fiber (Max.) – 11.0%
- Moisture (Max.) – 10.0%
- Dietary Starch (Max.) – 5.0%
- Sugar (Max.) – 0.5%
One cup of Keto Natural Pet Foods contains 3327 kcal/kg (ME) or 452 kcal/cup (ME).
Ketona Pet Food Dosage and Instructions
Feeding instructions as per dog’s weight
- 20 lbs – 1.00 cups / day
- 40 lbs – 1.75 cups / day
- 60 lbs – 2.50 cups / day
- 80 lbs – 3.00 cups / day
- 100 lbs – 3.50 cups / day
Feed your dog twice a day. Make sure to keep your dog hydrated. So save lots of fresh water at all times. Use standard 8 oz. measuring cup to measure the food.
NOTE: You can adjust the recommendations to meet your dog’s energy level, physical activity, age, sex, and body composition.
Ketona dog food reviews
So far, there have been only positive responses from pet owners. People say that the product is fantastic and has proven beneficial to dogs in numerous ways. Ketona food not only helps with skin allergies but also corrects their digestive system.
Ketona Chicken Recipe dry food for adult dogs has received 4.8 out of 5 stars from 56 customers at Amazon.
Here are few of the Ketonatural dog food testimonials/reviews available online.
- Boatmead1 – “Seems to be working. I originally purchased this because my dog had cancer and I had him on the keto raw diet for seven months, and he still wasn’t eating. I ordered this Ketona grain-free food in the hope that he would eat before I would lose him. I mailed my mom that has a small dog which started having seizures about a year ago. The seizures were becoming more frequent to about 1-2 a week. Her dog has been on Ketona for about 3.5 weeks and hasn’t had a seizure since then.”
- BB – “I was given the formula to find out carb percentage and know how much Dry dog formula has protein, fat, moisture, and carb. This one is great. While Keto had 20%, my cheaper pet food was 45%. My Vet wanted me to find one with lower carb, and this is it. It is a bit pricey, but if more people change their minds about nutrition for their pets, then Ketona is the best.”
- JB – “My dog had diabetes and was not doing well with the Science and Royal diet foods. I did some research and found out a few things I suspected. She likes this food. If the label is truthful, then I will continue to feed this to my dog.”
Ketona side effects
There are no side effects of Ketona diet food for dogs as it is natural and free from artificial flavors or preservatives. However, if your dog is diabetic, you may need to lower the insulin dose to prevent hypoglycemia. Hence, always consult your Vet first.
Is Ketogenic diet dangerous for dogs?
As per a recent trial published in the British Journal of Medicine, Ketogenic diet for dogs can help prevent seizures in dogs with epilepsy.
In fact, out of the 21 dogs in the study, 7 experienced a 50% reduction in seizure frequency while three dogs became seizure-free, says study author Tsz Hong Law of the Royal Veterinary College in Hatfield, UK.
Less than 1% of dogs have epilepsy. Nevertheless, it is one of the most common neurological disorders in dogs.
Here come the three doubts in mind.
- So should your dog switch to a ketogenic diet to treat epilepsy?
- But what if your dog isn’t epileptic, will he/she still need to go for a ketogenic diet?
- If your dog is healthy, can we avoid a ketogenic diet for your dog?
Let us be clear that Ketogenic diet and food such as Ketona dog food includes a high ratio of fat as compared with protein and carbohydrates. The high-fat content of the diet results in the conversion of fat to ketones, short chain fats produced by the liver which the body uses as energy instead of carbohydrates.
While ketogenic diets have been well-researched and studied upon humans since the 1920s which have also resulted in treating epilepsy, it hasn’t been extensively studied in dogs.
So why would you choose a Ketogenic diet?
Apart from reducing epilepsy in dogs, the ketogenic diet can help in treating cancer. In 1924, Otto Warburg theorized cancer feeds on sugar which is what carbohydrates become during digestion. However, cancer does not process fats well. As a result, Warburg concluded patients could cut out sugars and carbs to slow cancer growth.
KetoPet Sanctuary, located in Austin, TX utilizes the Warburg theory to treat and rescue dogs with terminal cancer. KetoPet claims that you can cure dog cancer by combining the Ketogenic diet, strenuous exercise, and hyperbaric oxygen therapy. The findings are not scientifically proven.
Is Keto diet safe for diabetic dogs?
If you have a diabetic dog/pet, then Ketogenic diets can pose a problem as you need to lower morning insulin doses to prevent hypoglycemia, says Dr. Marc Smith, co-founder of PET | TAO and practicing veterinarian at Natchez Trace Veterinary Services.
For dogs with cancer, Dr. Smith recommends a balanced, high protein diet in addition to traditional or Eastern treatment options. Dogs are more resistant to ketosis than people.
Another thing to note is that dogs are carnivores and adapt to long spans of time between meals. As such, ketogenic diets have a more significant impact on humans than dogs. Also, high dairy fat diets may cause pancreatitis, i.e., inflammation of the pancreas.
We always recommend consulting your Vet before trying on anything new when it comes to your pet’s health.
Canine diabetes mellitus is currently one of the most common and severe endocrine disorders diagnosed in pet dogs.
There was an article in the theoptimaldog.com which says that every Vet highlights the importance of glycemic control to manage canine diabetes and there is nothing controversial about it.
However, what is controversial is the specific dietary strategies recommended for controlling glycemic response. Unfortunately, none of the books recommend low or zero carb diet to help dogs manage their diabetes. Instead, they suggest strategies that slow (not reduce) the delivery of glucose into the bloodstream. It also says about feeding complex carbohydrates than simple ones, feed fiber with carbs and avoid “semi-moist” foods.
As mentioned earlier, Premium dry dog foods contain less than 5% starch and many Vets who treat pets with diabetes with zero-carbohydrate diets have seen amazing results. Another advantage is dogs are capable of producing all the necessary glucose their bodies so the need for alternative dietary carbohydrates can be eliminated.
For those who love to provide a diet with less than 5% starch, then you will love Ketona premium dry dog food.
There are many studies available at Ketona official website offers several blogs that have been written after researching how ketogenic diets work and how by eliminating carb foods, you can remedy cancer. You can read the blog at https://ketonaturalpetfoods.com/blogs/news/yes-carbs-do-make-dogs-fatter
Where to buy Keto Natural Dog foods?
Ketona dog foods are available on Amazon as well as on the official website. There are many KetoNatural Pet Foods promo codes and coupons online so that you can avail of good discounts.
- Contains as less as 8% carbohydrate (which is very much better than other “Grain-free” dog food brands
- Features all-natural ingredients
- Comprises of well-researched and formulated
- Is available for free shipping anywhere in the USA
- Is Vet recommended
- Need to consult your Vet before kick-starting this diet
- The product is available online only
Keto Natural Pet Foods is an excellent way to eliminate health risks such as epilepsy, cancer, obesity, etc. As mentioned above, Ketona foods can cut down many risks from your pet’s health thus prolonging their longevity.