Its one of the dirty jobs to check regularly for intestinal parasites in dogs, but an important step to keep your dog healthy and happy. Parasites in dogs or dog worms are a common cause of disease in dogs. Although many of the dog owners know about external parasites in dogs like the fleas and ticks, we hardly know about their internal intestinal parasites. Even these internal parasites can cause health problems in your pet. Intestinal parasites in dogs live inside the dog’s gastrointestinal tract. These include worms, whip worms, hookworms, roundworms and protozoa. Signs of worm infestation in dogs include rice bodies in his stool or squiggly worms, a thrifty looking appearance, vomiting and diarrhea.
The good news is that there are simple home remedies that can treat your dog from worms. You don’t even have to feed him with additives or chemical components or artificial supplements in his diet to get this problem cured.
Following are some of the herbal remedies that you can easily get from your kitchen shelf to help your furry friend from worms.
- Garlic: As we all know the health benefits of garlic on human body, the same is applicable with dogs also. Dogs can use garlic when they are suffering from worms. Like everything else, it must be used in moderation. A small amount of garlic will do the job. You can mix garlic with fennel to boost your dog’s immune system. Also make sure that garlic is taken in the right dosage as it can be toxic. Check your dog’s weight before worm treatment with garlic.
- Carrot: Carrots are good for eliminating intestinal worms. Coursely chopped carrots added to dog’s food act as an effective dewormer. The carrot scrapes the mucus which houses the parasite off from the intestines. After few hours of having carrot, your dog will expel the carrot in the same shape and size along with the mucus and worms. Add grated carrot to dog’s food and it will help boost his immune system and fight off infection.
- Diatomaceous earth: Diatomaceous earth is an effective way to help eliminate worms. Make sure you use only food grade DE for your dog as pool grade DE is potentially toxic for the dog. This remedy will reduce the number of worms from your dog’s intestines. For puppies, add a teaspoon to the dog’s food once daily. One tablespoon is effective for dogs over 55 pounds. You have to make sure that it is well mixed with the food as inhaling the mixture can cause irritation.
- Pumpkin seeds: Centuries ago pumpkin seeds were used by Native Americans to cure kidney complications, urinary problems and to heal wounds. In humans, the seeds were used to treat human parasitic conditions. Good news is that the seeds of pumpkin can now be used as an effective deworming agent to expel tapeworms and other parasites in both drugs and humans. Pumpkin seeds are rich in fiber, coppper, zinc, magnesium, amino acids, folic acid, niacin and calcium. So you can feed him with pumpkin seeds with no worries.
- Black walnut: Black walnut is a herb that expels intestinal worms and heartworms. Compared to other commercial dewormers, it is safe to use black walnut. Make sure you have a clear cut idea about the dosage as the wrong dosage can potentially be toxic for your dog.
- Cloves: Another aromatic spice is the clove. It has been used to treat parasites in both humans and animals. You can see clove as an active ingredient in almost every anti-parasitic formulas. To enjoy the real effectiveness of clove you need to combine clove with other anti-parasitic agents such as black walnut and wormwood. Once you notice that your dog is having dog worms, give him clove daily after every meal for an entire week and repeat the process every alternate week for 2 months – for a large dog. Do not extend the dosage for long time as it could be harmful for your dog.
- Wormwood: Wormwood is an effective herbal remedy for treating dog parasites. Wormwood is a plant that has been used for centuries to eliminate roundworms, threadworms and tapeworms.
- Fasting: This is one of the simplest ways you can expel dog worms. I know its not that easy to do this to your furry friend, but by doing so will help expel the worms and keep them from coming back. Worms need food for their survival and if they don’t get food for few hours, they become weak and will clear out of the digestive tract. A 24-hour fast once weekly will do the job. But make sure to consult your vet before putting him on a fast, especially if his body is not healthy.
- Diet: As mentioned above, worms become active when they get food. They are especially fond of foods rich in fat and sugar. They also love whole milk and eggs. Do not give these foods to your dog when he is on a worm treatment. Give him these foods only after you are assured that all the worms have thoroughly eliminated from his body.
- Oregano grape: Oregano grape contains immune boosting, infection-fighting constituent that kills the worms within the intestine. It also serves as a liver tonic. For better results, buy oregano grape in tincture form and administer 12 drops for every 20 pounds twice daily. Avoid the usage of oregano grape herb as a dewormer if your dog is pregnant or has liver disease.
Is it possible to get Canine Arthritis Agile Joints from stores like eBay and Walmart? What if they don’t offer this product, are there any other choices available. Keep on looking for more!”