We all know that essential oils really play a very great role in improving the air quality of your room, but do you know that essential oils are these days effectively used to take care of the furry families? If you haven’t ever considered using essential oils on dogs, keep reading this article further for more information. These popular essential oils will help your furry friend smell good and fresh and keep him stay healthy. But before you begin, make sure you consult with your veterinarian before using any natural product, including essential oils for your pet.
While there are many essential oils that are safe and effective for your pet, not all essential oils will suit your dog. Your dogs may be very selective when it comes to smell and fragrances. So here are some of the essential oils that even your dog will love. Just have a look
- Peppermint oil: Peppermint oil is used for dogs to stimulate circulation in dogs and it may also work as a natural flea repellent. You can also use peppermint oil for treating arthritis and dysplasia in dogs. My friend uses peppermint oil for his Pit bull to treat motion sickness when she travels with her dog.
- Spearmint: This effective essential oil is used to lose weight and is also good for diarrhea and nausea. Spearmint essential oil is also used for cats to treat gastrointestinal problems.
- Lavender: Lavender has been known for its amazing fragrance all over the world. It has been used in homemade sprays and for DIY shampoos for dogs. Lavender oil may provide immune system for allergies, insomnia, ulcers and burns. I use it for my dog to get rid of itchy skin conditions. Many people use lavender essential oil to calm car ride anxiety and car sickness.
- Roman chamomile: The analgesic and nerve-setting properties of Roman chamomile is known for treating muscle pain and cramps in dogs. Apply several drops (2-4) on that particular area, say ankles and wrists. Apply to the vital points. Or else directly inhale or diffuse. Some of them use it as a dietary supplement. You can use this essential oil for dogs in treating stress related issues.
- Bergamot essential oil: Bergamot has powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that help in treating bacterial ear infections. It also helps to get rid of ear infections caused by yeast. Make sure you do limit your pet’s time in the sun when he is on bergamot treatment as it may cause photo sensitization resulting in sun burn.
Things to be considered while purchasing essential oils
- There are several manufacturers selling essential oils in the market, which has become difficult for a common layman to choose the right essential oil. Many at times, people are misled. These following tips will help you to buy the real essential oils from the store.
Always buy essential oils that come in purple, cobalt blue or amber glass bottles.
- Be sure to check for the label that specifically says “100 percent pure essential oil” and ”therapeutic grade”
- Check for the basic information like country of origin, how the oil was extracted and the names – both common and scientific.
Although we know that essential oils can effectively help in treating your dog’s infections and itchy problems, we have to make sure that none of these essential oils will harm your pet. For this, you have to know how to properly use them. If you are not sure of which essential oil is best for your pet, you can consult with your vet before using any essential oils or other natural products.