Intestinal worms are one of the most common infections which affect pet dogs and there are many ways which can be adapted for protecting your dogs from this mode of infection. The problem of this mode of infection is that the infection is often not recognized until it’s blown out of proportion. Worms are tricky as the best way to get rid of the worms is not to get them i.e. to prevent its entry and act on a proactive basis which is also good for the dogs as they wouldn’t have to take complicated medicines which can affect the health of the dogs on a long term basis. Regular checkup can help in ensuring that every infection is thrown out before it grows worse.
[restabs alignment=”osc-tabs-left” responsive=”false”]
[restab title=”About” active=”active”]
There are many precautions which can ensure or can closely prevent the infection in the dogs. Some of the steps which can be taken are:
1. Clean environment: Clean environment is a crucial and necessary element for ensuring the prevention of any infections in your dogs. It is important that all the surrounding of the dog should be kept clean by removing the feces particles which may be there as this invites growth of bacteria which later spreads into an infection.
2. Proper training: This is also an important step where the dogs should be trained not to eat any elements which can lead to infection of the Ascarid worms. They should be controlled or trained not to eat any food from unhygienic locations where there are chances of presence of feces which can trigger an infection in the dogs.
3. Proper treatment: There are many treatments which are available for the treating worms in the dogs. The dogs should be treated from its birth at a regular interval as this can help in strengthening the immune system which can then counter the infection growth inside the body. The treatment should be veterinarian-approved medication as an unapproved treatment can cause more harm than good if not administrated properly.
4. Sample Testing: The sample of the feces should be checked frequently to know any traces of any infection developing as the feces tend to show if there is any irregularities in the system. This should be done from the birth of a puppy to ensure a good and healthy way of living.
5. Nursing check: The mother should be checked at the time of the birth as this will ensure that there is no infection which is not passed during the time of the delivery of the puppies. Roundworms are known to transfer through the placenta into the puppies’ system which can be disastrous as the infection will take all the essential nutrients for the growth of the puppies. This can cause to a deficiency in the immune system which restrict the growth of the puppies.
6. Use of insecticides: insecticides should be chosen carefully as a wrong one can induce many harmful effects in the dogs. A veterinarian sanctioned insecticides should only be used to maintain safety for the dogs. Insecticides help in the reduction of fleas which is a major factor in the spread of larvae of viruses.
7. Control: Your control on the pets should be high by restricting the dogs’ access to feces of other animals as this can cause infection to rise in the dogs. Dogs have the habit to smell their way to other animals and feces. Feces smells gives the dog many information about the animal. Our brain is only developed to a level where it can only decipher up to 8 percent of the odor that we smell whereas dogs can process up to 33 percent of the odor that they get.
8. Controlling infestations: This is an important part where any possible infestation of rodents should be controlled as rodents like rats etc. are the carriers of these infections and the reproduction rate of the rodent makes it even tougher. The rodents reproduce at a faster rate which makes it a potent threat in the spreading of the infections.
9. Infection: Alert should also be maintained as there are chances that the infection enters the human body especially children as kids are prone to put things in their mouth which have the chance to be infected with the worms. So special care should be taken to keep children away from those scenarios to ensure safety.
These are prevention which can be used for controlling the roundworm infection. Now let us look at the treatments which are available for eliminating worm infections.
Treatments for deworming
There are many medicines which are available in the market which can use for the deworming of the dogs. Deworming can be done by using natural means and also by medicines.
Some of the natural elements which help in deworming are:
- Fresh garlic
- Pumpkin Seeds
These elements if directed with food will help in the deworming of the dogs on a gradual basis.
The medicinal deworming techniques witness a lot of products which are aimed at removing the worms from the dogs system. Consult your veterinarian and select the best deworming medicine that is available and add it to the food. The effects of the normal doses of a deworming medicine will start within hours of its ingestion.
The steps or the order of the process would be
- Deworming: The first process is to ingest the medicine into the system this is usually given through the food. The other mean is through injection.
- Waiting period: After the ingestion of the medicine we have to wait a couple of hours as the worms will be ejected through the stool of the dog. You can see worms in the feces and this is the symptom that the deworming works.
- Checkup: The stool should be given for checkup for a regular basis to see if it has not developed again. Regular checkup is one way to prevent any further growth of the worms inside the system of the dog
These are some of the ways through which you can ensure that your dog stays safe from any sorts of worm attacks.